Crude augmented reality game lands boy with charges of “terrorizing” classmates
Sept 17, 2013
In an incident pre-dating yesterday’s Navy Yard shooting, a student in Louisiana was arrested and charged with “terrorizing” for simulating shooting classmates using an iPhone app.
As ridiculous as that sounds, it is true. As reported by ABC affiliate WGNO news an unnamed 15 year old student was booked and jailed after uploading footage to YouTube from an augmented reality iPhone app called “The Real Strike”.
The app crudely simulates a first person shooter game, using the phone’s camera to capture real footage. It is noteworthy given that yesterday’s shooter, Aaron Alexis, was reportedly obsessed with first person shooting games.
Major Malcolm Wolfe of the Terrebonne Sheriff’s Department told reporters “You can’t ignore it.”
“He said it was a result of him being frustrated and tired of being bullied. He said that he had no intentions of hurting anybody. We have to take all threats seriously and we have no way of knowing that without investigating and getting to the bottom of it.” the officer stated.
“We don’t know at what time that game becomes reality.” Wolfe added, noting that the video the student made has been removed from YouTube.
The student’s parents told the Sherriff’s office that their son does not have access to any real firearms. Yet, in addition to a charge of “terrorizing”, the student was also charged with interference of the operation of a school.
“With all the school shootings we’ve had in the United States, it’s just not a very good game to be playing at this time,” Wolfe suggested.
Louisiana law describes “terrorizing” as “the intentional communication of information that the commission of a crime of violence is imminent or in progress or that a circumstance dangerous to human life exists or is about to exist, with the intent of causing members of the general public to be in sustained fear for their safety; or causing evacuation of a building, a public structure, or a facility of transportation; or causing other serious disruption to the general public.”
The crime carries a punishment of a fine up to fifteen thousand dollars, or imprisonment with or without hard labor for not more than fifteen years, or both.
There is no evidence in the case to suggest that any building was evacuated, or that anyone was in fear for their life. Indeed, they were probably unaware of what the student was even doing, other than pointing a phone at them and going “pow”, as this example of the app indicates:
This incident serves as yet another blatant overreaction to children playing with anything that even remotely resembles a gun. Following last year’s Sandy Hook tragedy, we documented a spate of similar incidents involving bubble guns, lego guns and even food bitten into the shape of a gun.
Expect to see another deluge of incidents like these in the wake of another shooting that could have easily been prevented had responsible citizens not been disarmed and known to be utterly defenseless by the shooter.
Steve Watson is the London based writer and editor for Alex Jones’ Infowars.com, and Prisonplanet.com. He has a Masters Degree in International Relations from the School of Politics at The University of Nottingham, and a Bachelor Of Arts Degree in Literature and Creative Writing from Nottingham Trent University.
This article was posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 at 12:52 pm