Paul hits back with his own campaign ad, may boycott final debate with Conway
Tuesday, Oct 19th, 2010
While political analysts across the spectrum, as well as Democratic colleagues of Jack Conway, have slammed the baseless attack ads on his Kentucky Senate opponent Rand Paul, The Washington Post is persisting with the smear attempt.
Conway’s ad, released on Friday, once again dredges up the already debunked claim that Rand Paul had “kidnapped, drugged and tied up” a woman during his time at college. Lumped in with those farcical allegations is the charge that Paul was part of an anti-Christian secret society.
Greg Sargent of the Washington Post, who was one of the first in the corporate media to give the ridiculous claims column inches, has attempted to revive the smear today with a piece headlined Aqua Buddha prank victim: Jack Conway ad is “over the top,” but accurate, raises legit questions.
Sargent again quotes the “victim” of the prank, which allegedly occurred over 30 years ago at Baylor University.
The unnamed woman once more admits that the whole thing has been blown out of all proportion, noting that Conway’s ads are pure fearmongering. Yet this has not prevented Sargent from focusing on once again attempting to give the attack credence.
Rep. John Yarmuth, the popular Louisville Democrat on the ballot in Kentucky with Conway, and also a member of the House leadership, told The Huffington Post:
“I wouldn’t have done it… it looks like it’s backfiring.”
Several political analysts also told the Lexington Herald-Leader that in their opinion the attack could cost Conway more than he gains from it.
“When Conway began the personal attacks, I think it did take him off-message,” University of Louisville political science professor Jasmine Farrier told Fox News.
Jonathan Chait, a columnist for the left leaning publication The New Republic, wrote today that the ad was based on “a pretty sickening premise” and may be the “ugliest, most illiberal political ad of the year.”
Democratic Senator Claire McCaskill of Missouri criticized the ad on MSNBC programming today, while two other Kentucky Democrats told Fox News that Conway “is on his own” with the ad, voicing concerns that it may cause a greater “meltdown” for the rest of the Democratic slate in Kentucky.
On Sunday Rand Paul highlighted the new campaign ads during a debate with Conway, calling his opponent a “disgrace” and refusing to be associated with him.
“Jack, you know how we know when you’re lying? It’s when your lips are moving, okay?” Paul told the audience. “…You’re going to stand over there and accuse me of a crime from thirty years ago from some anonymous source? How ridiculous are you? You embarrass this race.” he asserted.
Yesterday Paul added that he may boycott a final debate against Conway scheduled for next week.
“We haven’t fully decided,” Paul said after a press conference with a veterans backing his campaign, “but I’m not sure I’ll appear in public with someone who is going to question my religion.”
It seems that Conway’s campaign truly has no shame. We previously reported on one instance where a Conway campaigner attended a rally carrying a Rand Paul sign while spewing racist remarks in an attempt to attract media coverage.
Rand Paul has further responded to the attack with an ad of his own in which he charges Conway of bearing false witness.
“Don’t be fooled by Conway’s desperate attack, it’s shameless, disgraceful, gutter politics at its worst.” the ad states.
Conway’s attack ad can be seen below, followed by Rand Paul’s response:
Photo attribution: Gage Skidmore
Steve Watson is the London based writer and editor at Alex Jones’ Infowars.net, and regular contributor to Prisonplanet.com. He has a Masters Degree in International Relations from the School of Politics at The University of Nottingham in England.
This article was posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 at 9:27 am