RIA Novosti 
Aug 24, 2012
A court in Oslo sentenced Anders Breivik to the maximum 21 years prison  on Friday for terrorism and the murder of 77 people, after declaring him sane.
Prosecutors had asked the Oslo district court judges to sentence the confessed killer to the maximum penalty of 21 years in prison, which can be extended for as long as he is considered a danger to society.
On 22 July 2011, Breivik bombed government buildings in Oslo, which resulted in eight deaths. He then opened fire at a youth camp of the ruling Labour party on Uteyya Island, killing 69 people. Breivik has admitted carrying out the killings, but the judges only pronounced him sane on Friday.
Breivik, who was charged with “acts of terror,” has told the court what he did was “cruel but necessary” to protect Norway from a wave of multiculturalism and a “Muslim invasion.” Norwegians calmly sat through his trial, which finished in June, and many took to the streets to condemn his crimes, while celebrating the open society he said he was trying to destroy.
However, Norway’s prime minister, Jens Stoltenberg, came under pressure to resign earlier this month after a report criticized police for failing to prevent or interrupt Breivik’s killing spree. Lawyers for victims of the massacre have also directed their anger at the police, calling for heads to roll. Mette Yvonne Larsen, one of the lawyers representing Breivik’ victims, said lives were lost because of police incompetence.