March 8, 2014
The secretive federal surveillance court has denied the National Security Agency’s (NSA) attempt to hold onto people’s phone records for longer than the law allows.
In an order released on Friday, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court said the Justice Department’s attempt to authorize keeping the records beyond the current five-year legal limit “is simply unpersuasive.”
“The Court has not found any case law supporting the government’s broad assertion that its duty to preserve supersedes statutory or regulatory requirements,” Judge Reggie Walton wrote in the court’s decision.
Last month, the Obama administration asked the court to let it keep the phone records, called metadata, past the five-year limit. The Justice Department said that it needs to hold on to the records in order to deal with a handful of lawsuits from the ACLU, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and others challenging the agency’s surveillance program.
This article was posted: Saturday, March 8, 2014 at 5:43 am