March 10, 2011
CAIRO – Egypt’s new government warned on Wednesday of a “counter-revolution” following a series of deadly political and religious clashes blamed on diehards of the former regime.
The government said it “is fully committed to the interests of the people and to implementing the goals of the revolution; and it will stand firm against plans for a counter-revolution,” according to state news agency MENA.
Sectarian clashes killed at least 13 in Cairo, the health ministry said.
Bloody fighting broke out late Tuesday in the working class Cairo district of Moqattam when Muslims confronted 1,000 Christians who had been blocking a main road in protest at the burning of a church last week in the provincial town of Sol, south of Cairo.
Father Boutros Roshdy of a Moqattam church told AFP at least seven Coptic Christians were among the dead.
This article was posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 at 5:04 am