UK Daily Mail 
March 18, 2011
- Particles spewed from wrecked Fukushima power station to hit U.S. today
- Japanese upgrade accident from level four to five – the same as Three Mile Island
- Officials admit they may have to bury reactors under concrete to stop catastrophic release
- Military trucks tackle reactors with tons of water for second day
These pictures show overheating fuel rods exposed to the elements through a huge hole in the wall of a reactor building at the destroyed Fukushima nuclear plant.
Radiation is streaming into the atmosphere from the used uranium rods at reactor number four, after a 45-ft deep storage pool designed to keep them stable boiled dry in a fire.
And some of the radioactive material could reach Britain within a fortnight, according to experts.
Particles spewing from the stricken plant at Fukushima have already been traced on planes arriving in the U.S. from the disaster-torn country.
An airborne plume of radiation is expected to hit America’s western seaboard today before being swept towards Europe. However, officials have stressed that the levels will not be high enough to pose any risk to human health.
- A d v e r t i s e m e n t