J. D. Heyes
Oct 2, 2012
In a report that is essentially a total indictment of members and agencies of the Obama Administration – most notably, Attorney General Eric Holder and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives - as well as the American media establishment, most of which has dedicated its time and resources to helping Barack Obama win reelection – Spanish language television network Univision has blown wide open the “Fast and Furious” scandal.
In a bombshell investigative report broadcast Sunday, one filled with scathing details and grim, grisly video including security-cam footage of actual execution-style murders and blood-soaked rooms (there’s your warning, for those of you who might be a little unnerved by that kind of real-life graphic violence), the network said it discovered that in January 2010, drug cartel hit men annihilated students with guns the U.S. government allowed to flow to them across the border into Mexico.
“On January 30, 2010, a commando of at least 20 hit men parked themselves outside a birthday party of high school and college students in Villas de Salvarcar, Ciudad Juarez,” said an English version of the report, posted on the ABC News website.
“Near midnight, the assassins, later identified as hired guns for the Mexican cartel La Linea, broke into a one-story house and opened fire on a gathering of nearly 60 teenagers,” the report said. “Outside, lookouts gunned down a screaming neighbor and several students who had managed to escape. Fourteen young men and women were killed, and 12 more were wounded before the hit men finally fled.”
It gets worse. Much worse.
Citing information obtained by a Mexican army document, Univision reported that three of the high caliber weapons fired that night at the students “were linked to a gun tracing operation run by” the ATF.
The operation in question was Fast and Furious.
But this “massacre,” as the network’s report described it, was not the only major news item contained in its report.
“Univision News identified a total of 57 more previously unreported firearms that were bought by straw purchasers monitored by ATF during Operation Fast and Furious, and then recovered in Mexico in sites related to murders, kidnappings, and at least one other massacre,” the report says.
That wasn’t the only “massacre” the network uncovered, related to Fast and Furious. On September 2, 2009, 18 young men were murdered at “El Aliviane, a rehabilitation center in Ciudad Juarez,” the report said.
Univision managed to find these victims through “access to the list of serial numbers of weapons used” in the botched ATF operation, as well as the “list of guns seized in Mexico,” according to an English subtitle translation of the broadcast.
“After cross-referencing them both lists, it became clear that a least a hundred of them were used in crimes of all kinds,” read the subtitles. “We found 57 weapons that were not mentioned in [the U.S.] Congress’ investigation.”
Americans didn’t care – until Americans were affected
The network says it managed to track down many more victims, but acknowledged that “the death toll that this free-flow of weapons authorized by ATF had in Mexico has not been tallied.”
As mentioned earlier, the broadcast was rife with grisly images, including bloodied, dead bodies lying on streets and sidewalks. In relaying this incredible story, the network showed the faces of the dead and led viewers carefully through the operation of the violent drug cartels and how they hunted down their victims with weapons the Obama Administration allowed to be bought by straw purchasers to traffic.
One photo showed pools of blood on the streets of a Mexican town following a “massacre” committed by hit men armed with Fast and Furious guns.
The broadcast made no bones about implying that Americans have no regard for the victims of violence the that Obama Administration policy helped fuel – until one of the victims is an American.
The report says it wasn’t until U.S. Border Patrol agent Brian Terry was murdered with Fast and Furious guns that prompted insiders and whistleblowers to come forward publicly and voice objections and concerns about the operation that the administration finally shuttered it.
The network charged the Obama Administration with complicity, of sorts, saying that implementation of the operation “inadvertently” helped fuel the violence and raise the death toll spurred on by warring cartels.
The report also put to rest the assertion by some politicians that weak U.S. gun laws were partly responsible for the carnage.
No justice coming from the ‘Justice Department’
“If up to this point drug dealers could easily obtain and smuggle guns, the United States government made it easier,” said the English subtitles in one part of the report.
Granted, the ATF operation to encourage the volume sales of U.S.-based guns and then try to “follow” them back to the cartels was ill-conceived and misguided from the start. How many Mexican citizens were ultimately victimized or killed by this ill-conceived plan is still a mystery.
But so, too, is the fact that it took a Spanish-language network (only 16.7 percent of the U.S. population is described as “Hispanic” or “Latino,” according to 2011 Census Bureau figures) rather than one of the many English-language networks in the U.S. to break open this huge, festering story.
Not that the administration has been forthcoming and honest, either. In fact, the Obama Administration has gone out of its way to keep a lid on its debacle by giving top cover to Eric Holder, the U.S. attorney general, whose Justice Department oversees ATF.
But the bottom line is this: People are dead, and actions taken by our government contributed to those deaths.
If there is a better reason why this administration, and a number of career bureaucrats heading up the unaccountable ATF, should not be fired come November, we are hard-pressed to find one.
This article was posted: Tuesday, October 2, 2012 at 3:03 am