Saturday, May 14, 2011
Colonel Muammar Gaddafi has called Nato airstrikes “cowardly” – and stated that he had retreated to a place “you cannot reach”.
In an audio statement broadcast on government-run state television, he said he was still alive and had the support of millions of Libyans.
The statement follows rumours surrounding Col Gaddafi’s health in recent days, and claims from the Italian foreign minister, Franci Frattini, who earlier said the Libyan leader had been wounded in airstrikes and left Tripoli.
Meanwhile, the Libyan government claimed at least 18 civilians were killed in a Nato attack in the eastern town of Brega.
This article was posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 at 2:50 am