Wednesday, Dec 9th, 2009
Despite record-high violence and an increasing number of casualties, US Defense Secretary Robert Gates says the war in Afghanistan is moving in the right direction and towards success.
Gates made the controversial remarks on Wednesday in an address to NATO soldiers in Afghanistan. He also praised what he called â€śimproved cooperationâ€ť between foreign forces in the Afghan war.
The defense secretary’s comments contradict reports that Taliban militants are gaining momentum, eight years after the US-led invasion of the country.
The US defense secretary visited the NATO-run International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) joint operation center.
Gates is the first top US official to visit Afghanistan after the White House announced a decision to send thousands of more troops to the war-torn country.
Last week, US President Barack Obama ordered the deployment of 30,000 more US troops to Afghanistan and said that US forces would start a partial withdrawal in July 2011.
Gates had said earlier that Obama’s plans to start bringing soldiers back from Afghanistan in 18 months might slip stressing that no deadlines could be set.
This article was posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 at 11:42 am