UK Daily Mail
Monday, February 15th, 2010
The Government has backed down over a move which threatened to delay the release of the post-mortem of weapons inspector Dr David Kelly.
Last month Lord Hutton, who chaired the inquiry into Dr Kelly’s death in 2003, said he was happy for a group of doctors – challenging the official verdict that the scientist committed suicide – to see his medical records, including the post-mortem report and photographs.
The peer’s surprise decision came two days after The Mail on Sunday revealed that he had secretly ordered the documents to be barred from the public for 70 years.
The doctors then wrote to the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) asking to see the material. But they were told their request was being treated under the terms of the Freedom of Information (FoI) Act which contains several caveats giving the Government the right to refuse access to some official papers.
This article was posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 at 11:39 am