Tuesday, Dec 02, 2008
The Indian foreign minister has refused to rule out military action against Pakistan following the Mumbai attacks, contradicting earlier statements.
External affairs minister Pranab Mukherjee told Indian media that “every sovereign country has the right to protect its territorial integrity”.
Following a meeting of the security cabinet earlier on Tuesday, Mr Mukherjee had told reporters: “Nobody is talking of military action.”
(ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW)
But later on in an interview with NDTV the minister, when asked about a military response to the Mumbai terrorist attacks that killed up to 188 people, said: “As and when it takes place, people will come to know, it’s not publicised.
“I am not making any comment on the military option, what I am saying is that every sovereign country has the right to protect its territorial integrity and take appropriate action and when it feels necessary to take that appropriate action.
“What will be done, time will show and you will come to know,” Mr Mukherjee added.
New Delhi has previously stated that Pakistani elements were responsible for the attacks, but Islamabad has insisted it played no role.
This article was posted: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 at 12:11 pm