Thursday, September 30, 2010
(CNSNews.com) – Iran’s Bushehr nuclear reactor will not generate power before early 2011, about two months later than previously reported, the country’s nuclear chief has announced.
Ali Akbar Salehi gave no reason for the delay, but said Wednesday that the “enemies” of Iran had failed in attempts to harm the nuclear facilities through the use of a powerful new computer virus, which targets software that controls infrastructure.
He said the virus, known as Stuxnet, had infected some staff laptop computers at the Bushehr plant but not its main computer system.
(ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW)
When the transfer of fuel to the Russian-built reactor took place in August, the nuclear agency said the plant would begin producing electricity within two or three months.
Iranian officials acknowledged earlier this week that Stuxnet had affected sites throughout Iran, but did not identify them. On Sunday, Bushehr project manager Mahmoud Jafari told Iranian media the plant’s computer system had not been damaged.
Reports about Stuxnet’s emergence sparked feverish industry and media speculation that the virus may have been designed, possibly by a foreign government, specifically to target Iran’s nuclear facilities.
Ralph Langner, a German computer security researcher, analyzed Stuxnet as a sophisticated and directed attack.
This article was posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 8:14 am