Thursday, August 13, 2009
Iran’s IAEA envoy says Tehran has asked the UN to hold a conference of 150 countries to vote on a proposal which bans attacks on nuclear installations.
According to Fars news agency, the request was made on Wednesday through a letter which was sent to the UN Director General, Mohamed ElBaradei.
“In that letter, Iran formally requested that the proposal be presented at the International Atomic Energy Agency’s (IAEA) general conference in September,” the agency quoted Ali-Asghar Soltaniyeh as saying.
“The protection of such installations is of great importance,” he added.
Soltaniyeh further pointed out that in September 1990, the IAEA general conference passed a resolution, proposed by Iran, entitled “Prohibition of All Armed Attacks Against Nuclear Installations Devoted to Peaceful Purposes Whether Under Construction or in Operation.”
“It is necessary to protect such facilities as the number of nuclear installations has increased since then,” he said. “It is undoubtedly a matter of concern for all countries.”
“The proposal will surely be supported by other countries and will pave the way for discussing and approving a resolution in this regard at the IAEA general conference to be held on September 14,” Soltaniyeh concluded.
This article was posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 4:02 am