Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Baghdad, Iraq (CNN) — An Iraqi soldier opened fire Tuesday on a group of U.S. soldiers in northern Iraq, killing two and wounding nine others, the U.S. military and the Iraqi military said.
They are the first American deaths in Iraq since the U.S. combat mission officially ended last week.
(ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW)
The attack occurred inside an Iraqi army commando compound when the soldier, clad in an Iraqi army uniform, fired on the U.S. soldiers near the Salaheddin province city of Tuz, the U.S. military said. The attacker was shot and killed.
Maj. Gen. Mohammed al-Askari, a Defense Ministry spokesman, identified the shooter as Soran Rahman, from the Iraqi army’s 4th Division.
This article was posted: Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 3:15 am