Wednesday, Dec 31, 2008
Israel mulled proposals for a truce to its Gaza offensive on Wednesday but ruled out any temporary halts, as jets pounded Hamas targets for a fifth day and the Islamists pummelled Israel with rockets.
Amid mushrooming protests around the globe, the world’s top diplomats scrambled to find a way to end one of Israel’s deadliest-ever offensives on Gaza that has so far killed at least 390 Palestinians.
The Israeli security cabinet convened in Tel Aviv to consider international proposals of a truce , with a senior government official telling AFP the Jewish state would not agree to a French offer of a 48-hour lull.
(ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW)
“The proposition by the French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner for a unilateral temporary ceasefire is not useful as it is evident that Hamas will not stop firing rockets against Israel,” said the official on condition of anonymity.
A foreign ministry spokesman said that the Jewish state would only consider a permanent halt to its operation, under the condition that Hamas stops firing rockets and acquiring arms.
This article was posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 at 5:37 am