Israeli warplanes have launched fresh attacks on the Gaza Strip, pounding several targets across the southern border with Egypt.
Witnesses told Press TV that they saw military jets bombing the strip on Monday, but no casualties have been reported.
The Israeli military confirmed the attacks on southern Gaza, saying the airstrikes targeted the Philadelphi route, an area of “tunnels through which Hamas brings arms into the region.”
It says the attacks came after two Qassam rockets fired from the Gaza Strip landed at the western Negev early Monday morning. The rocket attacks, however, caused no casualties, The Jerusalem Post reported.
(Article continues below)
Earlier in the day Israeli aircrafts bombed northern areas of the territory, killing one Palestinian and wounding five others.
Areas surrounding the Rafah border-crossing with Egypt were frequently targeted by Israeli warplanes during Tel Aviv’s all-out war against the Gaza Strip.
After ending the military offensive in January 18, Palestinians started the reconstruction of cross border tunnels which they say are used to import food and other vital supplies into the populated territory — which has been under tight Israeli blockade since Hamas took power in June 2007.
Despite announcing the ceasefire, Tel Aviv continues the attacks on the beleaguered region under the pretext of stopping the democratically-elected government of Hamas from rearming its fighter in Gaza.