BBC NEWSAmericasAfricaEuropeMiddle EastSouth AsiaAsia PacificUrduHindiPashtoBengaliTamilNepaliSinhala
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC News UK Edition
 You are in: World: South Asia  
News Front Page
World
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent
-------------
Letter From America
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
Education
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
CBBC News
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Wednesday, 12 February, 2003, 14:18 GMT
Italy frees Pakistani terror suspects
Italian Carabinieri paramilitary police officers inspecting the building
Italian investigators guard the building after the arrests
An Italian judge has ordered the release of 28 Pakistani immigrants arrested on suspicion of planning terrorist attacks.

The reasons for the order are unclear, but reports suggest little evidence was found against the men.

Judge Ettore Favara said: "Preliminary checks of each individual arrested can only lead to the considerable reduction of the seriousness of the charges against them."

The Pakistanis were arrested late last month during a raid on a run-down estate in Naples.

Map claims

Police said they found a circled newspaper photograph of the head of Britain's armed forces, Chief of Defence Staff Admiral Sir Michael Boyce.

Several pages of a map of the area of Bagnoli, a suburb which is home to Nato's southern command headquarters which is based in the city, were also said to have been recovered.

Sir Admiral Boyce was due to visit the base in March.

The arrests sparked a protest from the Pakistani Government to the Italian ambassador, claiming the suspects were victims of a "conspiracy."

The Italian authorities have arrested several dozen people suspected of links with international terrorism since the 11 September attacks on New York and Washington.

Most attention has focused on suspected cells linked to al-Qaeda in the north of Italy.

Last year, seven Tunisians were convicted in Milan of helping suspected al-Qaeda recruits obtain false documents.


Key stories

European probe

Background

IN DEPTH
See also:

Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories

 BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | World | UK | England | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales |
Politics | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology |
Health | Education | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes