Jesse Ventura loses bid to halt airport searches
Minneapolis Star Tribune
Friday, November 4, 2011
A judge ruled on Thursday that the former Minnesota governor’s concerns about modesty, personal freedom and constitutional rights were misplaced when he filed a federal lawsuit in St. Paul last January.
Challenges to the Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) procedures must be brought in Circuit Courts of Appeals, wrote U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson in dismissing Ventura’s lawsuit.
After getting a titanium implant in his hip in 2008, Ventura’s lawsuit says, he started lighting up airport magnetometers. At first, screeners waved a magnetic hand wand over him and sent him on his way. But last year, the TSA initiated enhanced screening procedures, his complaint says, which meant he had to go through invasive full-body scans or pat-down searches.
Ventura’s attorney, David Bradley Olsen, declined to comment. “Governor Ventura will speak to the press on Friday, Nov. 4, at noon, in front of the Federal Court Building in St. Paul,” he said.
This article was posted: Friday, November 4, 2011 at 5:34 am