April 23, 2014
MOSCOW, April 23 (RIA Novosti) – The military operation launched by Ukrainian authorities earlier this month against protesters in eastern Ukraine has again entered an active phase, the Security Service of Ukraine told RIA Novosti Wednesday.
The Kiev regime earlier announced a pause in the operation during the Easter holidays, in line with a deal reached in Geneva last week to de-escalate the ongoing conflict in the country.
“The operation has again returned to an active phase as was declared yesterday,” the Security Service’s press office said.
The details of the operation are expected to be announced at a briefing at the country’s anti-terrorist center later on Wednesday.
On Tuesday, Ukraine’s coup-appointed acting President Oleksandr Turchynov demanded that special services resume an operation in the country’s east, where protesters have been rallying in support of federalization since March.
In a phone conversation with Secretary of State John Kerry on Wednesday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov called on Kiev to immediately comply with the April 17 Geneva agreement and cancel the order to use military force against the country’s population.
The Ukrainian Defense Ministry has refused to comment on the details of the operation.
Last Thursday, top diplomats from Russia, Ukraine, the United States and the European Union agreed to call on the parties in Ukraine to refrain from violence, extremism and provocations, disarm militants and launch a national dialogue on constitutional reform.
In violation of the deal, a group of unknown gunmen, allegedly members of the Right Sector far-right group, killed at least three people in a deadly attack on a checkpoint near Slaviansk. The Russian Foreign Ministry dismissed the attack as “provocation” that pointed to Kiev’s reluctance to disarm nationalists and extremists.
This article was posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 at 11:18 am