March 31, 2012
LOS ANGELES — The lawyer representing a US soldier accused of killing 17 Afghan villagers condemned Friday what he called an “information blackout” blocking him from preparing his defense case.
Attorney John Henry Browne said his team had been prevented from interviewing witnesses and injured civilians in southern Afghanistan following the alleged massacre earlier this month.
“We were expecting a lot more cooperation. The prosecutors in this case promised us a lot of cooperation which we’re just not getting,” he told reporters in Seattle.
“We are facing an almost complete information blackout from the government, which is having a devastating effect on our ability to investigate the charges preferred against our client,” he added in a statement.
This article was posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 3:33 am