The Tripoli Post
July 11, 2011
Libyan leader Muammar Al Qathafi’s son, Seif al-Islam said that his father’s government was in talks with the French government. Though there was no immediate comment from Paris about his revelation, on Sunday, France appeared to shift its position on the Libyan uprising, suggesting that there could be no military solution and that Muammar Al Qathafi loyalists and Libyan rebels should begin direct negotiations.
In the first interview he granted to an Arab newspaper since the start of the conflict in Libya in mid-February, speaking from Tripoli, Seif al Islam told Algerian newspaper El Khabar: “The truth is that we are negotiating with France and not with the rebels.
He said that when the French authorities heard that a group from Benghazi were meeting in Cairo to the discuss the Libya crisis, the French authorities told them they supported them, but if they were to make other contacts without their being aware of them, or behind their backs, they would immediately stop their support.
Seif went on to say that the French told the rebels that all negotiations must be made through France, and that they were not involving themselves in the conflict without any considerations, but they have commercial interests in Libya and are interested in the government,
Asked why Libya has not disclosed to the public the documents proving the financing of the French Sarkozy’s presidential campaign, Seif said that they would not use all their weapons at once, “We have more surprises, and a weapon that we shall use at the right time …”
Talking about the averse publicity about Libya in the press, Seif said that before the mediation efforts by the Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, the South African President Jacob Zuma and the African Union, there were so many lies against Libya.
Seif said: “They reported that Libya had killed thousands of demonstrators, and said we conducted air strikes on civilian. The world now knows that it was all lies. The Human Rights Watch organisation has acknowledged that the information was false, Amnesty International also said it was false, while the Pentagon made its own investigation and found out it was all false information.”
The Libyan leader’s son went on to say in the interview with El Khabar that when it comes to international mediation there is a road map agreed on by all the African Union members, and that is, that “Libya will hold elections and form a national unity government.
“ We are ready to have elections supervised by international organisations, and to implement a new constitution. But the rebels have rejected all this. Why do they refuse? because we have not yet reached an agreement with Paris,” he said.
In his address to his supporters on Friday in Sabha, Colonel Gaddafi threatened to take revenge on NATO countries and to dispatch suicide bombers in Europe. Are you not afraid that this could put you in line with terrorists?
Seif al-Islam replied: “First of all we have the right to react against those who attack us and kill our children. They killed Muammar Al Qathafi’s son, destroyed his house and killed his relatives, and there is not one Libyan family that has not been a victim of the NATO attacks. That is why we are at war, it is NATO that began to attack us and it has to bear the consequences.”
When it comes to future election in Libya, Seif al Islam said that he has been officially out of politics in Libya since 2008. Since then and until the start of the conflict in February he was out of the country, in Cambodia. “I returned to Libya in the early events. I was not involved in the political game, but after what has happened in Libya the scenario has changed.
“After seeing the betrayals, the interests and colonisation all the data has changed, I am not against introducing myself back into politics. All options are open.”
He could not envisage a divided Libya. Such would just be the whims of colonisation, particularly after British Prim Minister David Cameron’s comments that the Libyan Sahara, could be shared. He said the British plan would be, for the west and south to go to Britain and France, and Britain, and a military base for the British at Tobruk. He said it will not happen.
Seif al-Islam welcomed any mediation from Algeria. It has always played the role of unifier. He said that beside being Arab, Libya and Algeria have one thing in common: in the past they fought against the France, and Libya is doing the same thing today.
He went on to say that Algeria took a completely different position to other Arab countries, and as such, the Libyan people would never forget it. That is why that mediation efforts by Algeria to reconcile the brothers in Libya are welcome.
Finally, Seif requested the international community to pay attention to what is happening in Libya, where one of the largest campaigns of misinformation and falsification of truth has taken place.
He said that both the Europeans and the Americans are aware of the truth. He added that the international media has distorted the facts and created stories and incidents that never occurred.
“We appeal to the international community that the images you are watching on satellite news channels and Internet are rigged. One day, the truth will out!” He said.
This article was posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 at 3:28 am