Friday, September 26, 2008
John McCain will take part in a presidential debate after threatening to pull out.
The Republican presidential candidate said earlier this week he wanted to cancel the key clash with Democratic rival Barack Obama.
Mr McCain announced he would suspend his election campaign to concentrate on trying to resolve deadlocked talks on a US government bail-out of struggling Wall Street insititutions, and urged Mr Obama to do the same.
But Mr Obama refused to call off the debate, scheduled to take place tonight at the University of Mississippi, and said he would attend on his own if necessary.
(ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW)
McCain campaign spokesman Brian Rogers said in a statement that the Republican had finally agreed to take part in the debate in Oxford, Mississippi, then return immediately to Washington to resume negotiations on the rescue plan.
More than 40 million Americans are expected to watch the head-to-head, the first of three that could decide the outcome of the 4 November election.
This article was posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 at 11:30 am