UK Daily Mail
Wednesday, Dec 10, 2008
Up to 20 suicide mission recruits are still on the loose in the wake of the Mumbai terror attacks, Indian police have claimed.
The 10 men who carried out the assault last month were among a group of 30 who volunteered to put their lives on the line, according to Mumbai Police Deputy Commissioner Deven Bharti.
‘Another 20 were ready to die – this is the very disturbing part of it,’ said Bharti.
It was the first time Indian police had disclosed the larger number of suicide recruits from the Pakistani militant group, Lashkar-e-Taiba.
Mr. Bharti said the information about the other 20 recruits came from the sole surviving attacker, Muhammad Ajmal Kasab, who was arrested during the attacks and has been in police custody ever since.
(ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW)
The original 30 recruits were given highly specialised training, including marine combat skills, Bharti said.
Once Lashkar leaders had selected Kasab and his nine fellow attackers, they were kept in a house for three months.
They were then divided into two-man teams, with each assigned a different target within Mumbai to attack – information they were forbidden from sharing with one another, Bharti said.
They never saw the other 20 trainees again, Bharti told the New York Times.
This article was posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 at 5:00 am