March 7, 2013
A spokesman for North Korea’s Foreign Ministry says his country may deliver a pre-emptive nuclear strike against its enemies in case an attack on Pyongyang is launched.
“Since the United States is about to ignite a nuclear war, we will be exercising our right to a preemptive nuclear attack against the headquarters of the aggressor in order to protect our supreme interest,” said the statement carried by the official KCNA news agency.
The reclusive state has ramped up its military rhetoric after conducting its third nuclear test last month, threatening to use every means, including the nuclear arsenal, against any aggression.
Lately Pyongyang accused Washington and Seoul of preparing an attack on North Korea under the guise of a joint military exercise.
As the annual two-month drill goes on, North Korea has imposed no-fly and no-sail zones off both its coasts, a move indicating that it plans to hold its own war games, South Korea’s governmental sources said.
Military experts say North Korea is years away from developing a long-range missile and a nuclear warhead to attack mainland US.
The war of words continues as the UN Security Council mulls over a new round of sanctions against Pyongyang, which are meant to be a response to the February nuclear test.
All permanent members of the UNSC condemned the test, including North Korea’s reluctant ally China, which indicates the sanction-imposing resolution is likely to be adopted.
The new measures are expected to include mandatory inspections of cargoes going in or out of North Korea, additional restraints on luxury trade and freeze of assets of two organizations related to the nuclear test.
This article was posted: Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 6:51 am