Dec 1, 2010
North Korea is “highly likely” to attack South Korea again as its ailing leader Kim Jong-il seeks to bolster the standing of his regime ahead of a planned handover of power, South Korea’s intelligence chief has warned.
“There is a high possiblity that the North will make another attack,” said Won Sei-hoon, director of South Korea’s National Intelligence Service told a parliamentary committee meeting in Seoul.
He added that phone-tap intelligence last August had hinted at the likelihood of an attack off South Korea’s west coast, months before last week’s shelling by North Korea of a South Korean island, killing four.
The attack had come against a backdrop of economic and political instability in the North, which is reeling under UN sanctions imposed last year after its second illegal nuclear weapons test.