July 25, 2011
The man charged with the twin terror attacks that killed at least 93 people in Norway on Friday is expected to plead not guilty when he appears in court on Monday despite telling his lawyer the atrocities had been “gruesome but necessary”.
Anders Behring Breivik has confessed to the bombing in Oslo and the mass shooting at a youth camp on Utøya island, but denied criminal responsibility. He said he wanted to start a revolution in Norwegian society to defeat liberal immigration policies and the spread of Islam.
“He thought it was gruesome having to commit these acts, but in his head they were necessary,” Breivik’s lawyer, Geir Lippestad, told the Norwegian broadcaster NRK.
After detonating the bomb that killed seven in downtown Oslo, Breivik embarked on a shooting spree at a summer youth camp on Utøya island, killing at least 86, the biggest massacre by a single gunman in modern times. Police say he still had a “significant amount” of ammunition when arrested.
This article was posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 at 3:48 am