- Prison Planet.com - http://www.prisonplanet.com -
Obama’s orders leave torture, indefinite detention intact
Posted By admin On January 23, 2009 @ 9:05 am In Featured Stories | Comments Disabled
Friday, January 23, 2009
The USA continues to be a Nazi state, under its new president.
Torture and imprisonment without trial will continue.
Tom Eley, at WSWS, 23 January 2009, points out:
“The orders signed by Obama do not undo the Bush administration’s attacks on constitutional and international law.
1. “They do not challenge the supposed right of the president to unilaterally imprison any individual, without trial and without charges, by declaring him to be an ‘enemy combatant.’”
2. “Nor do they end the procedure known as ‘extraordinary rendition,’ by which the United States during the Bush years kidnapped alleged terrorists and shipped them to foreign countries or secret CIA prisons outside the US, where they were subjected to torture.
3. “They do not affect the hundreds of prisoners – 600 at the Bagram prison camp in Afghanistan alone — incarcerated beyond the barbed wire of Guantanamo.
“If and when Guantanamo is closed, the US government will simply ship alleged terrorists caught up its international dragnet to other American-run prison camps.”
4. “On the question of so-called ‘harsh interrogation techniques,’ i.e., torture, Obama’s orders leave room for their continuation.
“Obama announced the creation of a task force that will consider new interrogation methods beyond those sanctioned by the Army Field Manual, which now accepts 19 forms of interrogation, as well as the practice of extraordinary rendition…”
Article printed from Prison Planet.com: http://www.prisonplanet.com
URL to article: http://www.prisonplanet.com/obamas-orders-leave-torture-indefinite-detention-intact.html
URLs in this post:
 Obama’s orders leave torture, indefinite detention intact : http://www.wsws.org/articles/2009/jan2009/guan-j23.shtml
 Image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NE-72ZXux-g/SXmFT_5gI2I/AAAAAAAAIDM/GoCLKJ3Bwjc/s1600-h/49535593_f403cf9a22.jpg
 Torture Architect Argues For Indefinite Detention of Americans: http://www.prisonplanet.com/torture-architect-argues-for-indefinite-detention-of-americans.html
 Obama to sign series of anti-torture orders: http://www.prisonplanet.com/obama-to-sign-series-of-anti-torture-orders.html
 US memo drafters were complicit in torture, UN torture monitor says: http://www.prisonplanet.com/us-memo-drafters-were-complicit-in-torture-un-torture-monitor-says.html
 Bush, Rumsfeld should be pursued for torture: UN rapporteur: http://www.prisonplanet.com/bush-rumsfeld-should-be-pursued-for-torture-un-rapporteur.html
 Bush aware of ‘unreliability’ of torture info: http://www.prisonplanet.com/bush-aware-of-unreliability-of-torture-info.html
Copyright © 2013 PrisonPlanet.com. All rights reserved.