Press TV 
Friday, Dec 12, 2008
Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi says India fails to share information on Mumbai terror attacks despite repeated requests.
Qureshi said that Pakistan had begun its own investigations concerning the Indian allegations against the country.
“The government of Pakistan has already initiated investigations on its own. However, our own investigations cannot proceed beyond a certain point without provision of credible information and evidence pertaining to Mumbai,” Qureshi said.
Qureshi’s remarks came a day after Pakistani Defense Minister Ahmad Mukhtar called on the US and India to provide tangible evidence for Mumbai allegations. “Both the US and India say they have ample proof, but why is it hidden from us?” Mukhtar asked.
(ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW)
India insists there is enough evidence to prove that the Mumbai attacks were launched from Pakistani territory, Home Minister P. Chidambaram said during the Parliament session in New Delhi.
- A d v e r t i s e m e n t
Meanwhile, US state department said that Pakistan had taken “important steps” by acting against terror groups by banning the Jamaat-ud Dawa-a front group to Lashkar-e-Taiba- which has been alleged by the US and India to be behind the Mumbai attacks.
But the US declined to comment on India’s observation that Islamabad was not doing enough.
India had previously demanded the hand over of 20 suspected militants but Foreign Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday asked Pakistan to hand over 40 people which New Delhi believes were involved in attacks on Indian soil and other serious crimes.
Islamabad has intensified its crackdown on militants but says it will not hand over any of its citizens to India. It also denies any involvement in the raids that left 171 people dead and 294 wounded.
Pakistan’s President Asif Ali Zardari had earlier said that the Mumbai terror attacks were directed not only against India but also against Pakistan’s new democratic government and the peace process.
Pakistan’s top officials say Islamabad is still waiting for evidence from India proving Pakistani nationals were involved in the attacks.