Tuesday, April 27, 2010
The Pentagon said on Tuesday it will provide some but not all the documents demanded by a congressional panel investigating last year’s Fort Hood shooting rampage.
Facing a subpoena from the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, the Defense and Justice departments promised to provide the panel with the personnel file of the suspected gunman, Major Nidal Hasan, as well as other documents, Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell told reporters.
But the Pentagon was still unwilling to grant the lawmakers access to possible witnesses as well as investigative reports in the case, Morrell said.
(ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW)
“We believe we have made a very good faith effort to try to find a middle ground… to satisfy their requests,” he said.
“We have made movement on some of the areas that we had originally objected to, but we have held the line on those that we feel could potentially jeopardize the prosecution of Major Hasan,” he said.
The Pentagon general counsel and government prosecutors believed allowing officials involved in the case to testify or handing over “investigative summaries” could put the case against Hasan at risk, he said.
This article was posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 10:46 am