The draft still won’t blow away
Thursday, Jan 15th, 2009
Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) has said that he will most likely reintroduce legislation to reinstate the universal military draft this year.
Asked if he plans to introduce the legislation again in 2009, Rangel last week said, “Probably … yes. I don’t want to do anything this early to distract from the issue of the economic stimulus.” according to an article featured in The Hill yesterday.
Rangel will therefore once again push the idea that everyone in America should be forced by law to work for the government for at least two years, either for no pay or for minimal pay.
Rangel last introduced the bill in 2006 immediately after the Democrats won control of Congress. The bill attracted virtually no support and was passed off as merely a “political statement” regarding the Iraq war by leading Democrats such as Nancy Pelosi.
However, Rangel has previously lauded the reality of a military draft , saying that it would bolster U.S. troop levels insufficient to cover potential future action in Iran, North Korea and Iraq.
(Article continues below)
Rangel has consistently pushed for legislation on conscription in the past.
In 2003, he proposed a measure covering people age 18 to 26. This year, he offered a plan to mandate military service for men and women between age 18 and 42; it went nowhere in the Republican-led Congress.
We have previously pointed out  how Rangel’s insistent efforts to keep this issue in the body politic is allied to an underlying framework that provides for a rapid and extensive implementation of conscription, be it on the continent or within the 4th Reich of America in the form of Homeland Security Gestapo squads.
The issue came to the fore recently with newly discovered details regarding Rahm Emanuel and Barack Obama’s plans for compulsory community service  and a “national civilian security force”.