Thursday, February 2, 2012
The number of people placed on a no-fly list and banned from flying to or inside the U.S. has more than doubled in the last year, according to The Associated Press.
The list, which includes known and suspected terrorists, jumped from having 10,000 people on it one year ago to about 21,000 now, the AP said. According to the government data provided to the wire, most of the people on the no-fly list are from other countries while about 500 are Americans.
“Both U.S. intelligence and law enforcement communities and foreign services continue to identify people who want to cause us harm, particularly in the U.S. and particularly as it relates to aviation,” Transportation Security Administrator John Pistole told the wire.
The number of people placed on the no-fly list is said to have grown significantly after the attempted Christmas Day bombing of a flight from Amsterdam to Detroit in 2009. In the months following the failed plot, the U.S. government blocked more than 450 people suspected of being linked to Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups from entering the country.
This article was posted: Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 10:40 am