Security Cameras Detected ‘Many Armed’ Men Storming Compound; No Explanation of Later Claims to Contrary
Terence P. Jeffrey
December 19th, 2012
The special Accountability Review Board set up by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to investigate the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, confirmed that there was nothing “unusual” taking place outside the mission in the hours before the attack, that there was no protest, and that the attack started suddenly when security cameras detected dozens of men, many of them armed, swarming through one of the gates of the compound.
The board’s report, released Tuesday, also says that the U.S. mission in Benghazi was in communication with Washington, D.C., as the attack was unfolding.
Despite the fact that the eyewitnesses interviewed by the Accountability Review Board said there was no protest, and the scene was caught by security cameras, and the mission was in communication with Washington almost instantly, U.S. government officials, including then-CIA Director David Petraeus and U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice would state days later that there had been a protest.
The report does not explain how senior administration officials later decided there had been a protest when the eyewitness testimony and video surveillance did not say that.
This article was posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 5:54 am