March 9, 2010
Tens of thousands of US and South Korean troops Monday began an annual military exercise despite threats from North Korea, which claims the drill is a preparation for nuclear war.The North’s supreme military command announced it has placed its 1.2 million-strong armed forces on alert in response to the start of what it called “test nuclear war manoeuvres”.
The ten-day Key Resolve/Foal Eagle drill involves 18,000 US troops, including 10,000 not based in Korea, and 20,000 South Korean troops, said a spokesman for the US-South Korean Combined Forces Command.
Numbers are smaller than last year and no US aircraft carrier will be involved, but the spokesman said the size of the drill was guided only by operational reasons.
This article was posted: Tuesday, March 9, 2010 at 5:15 am