October 17, 2013
It is the ultimate example of sickening, pathetic political correctness. In the aftermath of the EBT cardholder ransacking of Walmart stores in Louisiana last Saturday, where the stores shelves were wiped clean in a food stamp “rampage” that cost the retailer untold thousands of dollars, “shoppers left with up to eight carts of food and then went back for more,” reports ABC News.
Effectively, EBT cardholders transformed into “spontaneous hoarders” who monopolized the entire supply of food, meat and other goods. Walmart shelves were literally wiped clean, and other shoppers who tried to enter the stores to purchase food items had nothing available to them.
Walmart corporate has now gone public with the most bizarre pro-theft explanation ever heard. Allowing EBT hoarders to ransack the stores and steal tens of thousands of dollars in merchandise while denying any inventory to other shoppers was “the right thing to do,” the Walmart company now says.
Walmart spokesperson Kory Lundberg told ABC News, “We know we made the right choice.”
Another spokeswoman for Walmart, Kayla Whaling, also told ABC News, “Our focus was to continue serving our customers.”
Not exactly, of course. If you want to serve your customer base, you don’t let one particular group of customers hoard your entire supply, thereby denying any inventory to other customers. And even the label of “customers” is a stretch, as these people weren’t paying for the products they looted.
To clarify what actually happened, the EBT food stamp system went offline on Saturday, leaving retailers with no way to confirm card balances and purchase limits. Under such circumstances, retailers are supposed to only approve “emergency” purchases up to $50. For some yet-unknown reason, Walmart announced to its shoppers that EBT cardholders would have infinite balances during the federal computer glitch, meaning there were no limits whatsoever on what they could purchase. Let the hoarding begin!
Hence the “eight shopping carts” by one customer who was still going back for more.
Because the government will only reimburse Walmart for $50 per cardholder, the remaining cost of the loot will have to be covered by Walmart itself. Effectively, this means Walmart was complicit in allowing the mass theft of products from its own stores. The company is even now saying its complicity in this mass theft was “the right thing to do!”
Why won’t Walmart allow free shopping sprees to other people?
Aside from being the ultimate example of pathetic pandering to political correctness, this fiasco also raises far more important questions:
1) If allowing the mass theft and hoarding of products by EBT cardholders was “the right thing to do” in Louisiana, why won’t Walmart announce similar shopping sprees in all cities and states? Why should Walmart shoppers in California, for example, be punished and not allowed to steal cartloads of food and other products like Walmart looters in Louisiana? Is Walmart now admitting to discrimination based on geography?
2) Why is Walmart’s “right thing to do” limited only to EBT cardholders and not, for example, homeless people? Shouldn’t homeless people be given a free Walmart shopping spree, too? Why is an EBT card required to engage in hoarding / looting of a Walmart store? Is Walmart discriminating against the homeless in disallowing free shopping sprees for them simply because they don’t carry EBT cards?
3) Why does Walmart hate blacks, Jews and gays? The store did not announce shopping sprees for African Americans, Jews or the LGBT community. There wasn’t even a free shopping spree announced for American Indians. Walmart clearly hates these groups because they didn’t receive the same shopping spree “cashouts” as EBT cardholders. This is obviously a case of Walmart discriminating based on race, religion and sexual orientation. How dare Walmart give free food away to one group and not all the other groups! This is un-American!
4) All Americans are hurting financially, not just EBT recipients. Wouldn’t it be “the right thing to do” if Walmart simply allowed everyone to engage in free, unlimited shopping sprees and did away with the entire concept of anyone actually paying for products? After all, as readers of my previous story taught me, Walmart is a “rich corporation” and therefore doesn’t actually need any money. So why can’t this “rich corporation” just be the new Robin Hood and steal from investors to give free food and products to all Americans?
5) Why have cashiers at all? Why doesn’t Walmart simply announce it is a “looting distribution center” where anyone and everyone is welcome to come gather up anything they’d like — food, electronics, clothing, home goods, you name it — and walk out the front door with it? Isn’t that also “the right thing to do” for America?
Walmart looters are only following Obama’s fiscal policies
Oh, I forgot: for Walmart to stay in business it actually has to turn a small profit. And to turn a small profit, it has to actually charge people money for the goods they remove from the store. This is called “commerce,” and it is apparently an idea that Walmart has abandoned in its desperate attempt to remain politically correct rather than economically viable.
In order to avoid the appearance of actually making people who get free money from the government stick to their debit card limits of free money, Walmart deliberately and consciously allowed them to steal from their stores in broad daylight. Heck, its cashiers even helped the looters total it up for some reason. Why even bother with a “checkout” process if the so-called “customers” aren’t paying for anything in the first place?
Walmart declares looting to be morally right
Even more disturbingly, Walmart has set a precedent which states, “Looting is morally right.” In fact, Walmart actually described it that way: as “the right thing to do.” This is actually an encouragement for other people to loot other Walmarts.
Legally speaking, Walmart may have just destroyed any ability to prosecute shoplifters and looters because it just gave its blessing to people who steal thousands of dollars in products from its stores. Any decent defense lawyer representing a client caught shoplifting from Walmart will now invoke Walmart’s own words in saying that allowing mass theft was the right thing to do.
It’s open season on Walmart, folks! Let the looting begin! You even have Walmart’s permission to loot Walmart stores! Bring a pickup truck and ten hungry neighbors. It’s time to reload that freezer and restock that pantry, courtesy of Walmart!
Oh wait. My bad. I get it now: because the federal government thinks it has an infinite debt limit, the people are only following by example! This is just the average Joe on the street doing what Obama does: wholesale looting and ransacking of the global economy through the infinite creation of fiat currency that drives unlimited debt spending.
Now I get it. Walmart is simply the people’s Fed. When the Treasury runs out of money, the fed prints more money. When the people run out of food, Walmart makes more magically appear in your shopping cart. This is the new economy in America: magic wands, fairy tales and economic fantasies, all driven by the clueless masses who understand nothing about economics.
So in honor of Obama, I suggest that we pass a new federal law which outlaws cashiers at retail establishments, thereby allowing everyone to gather up all the free loot they want, without limit. We’ll call it “The Right Thing To Do Act.”
What could possibly go wrong?
This article was posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 4:31 am