May 18, 2010
South Korean investigators have found “decisive evidence” that a North Korean torpedo sank one of its naval ships, a Seoul news agency claimed today, citing an unnamed senior military official.
The inquiry team will publish its report on the causes of the sinking in March, which claimed the lives of 46 sailors, on Thursday. South Korea’s defence minister said last month it was “likely” that a torpedo was to blame, but added that several possibilities were under review.
Today Yonhap news agency said that experts had found traces of explosives recovered from the wreckage of the 1,200-tonne Cheonan were identical to the torpedoes used by North Korea.
Pyongyang’s state media reported yesterday that senior official Yang Hyong-sop had repeated the country’s denial of any involvement, insisting: “We will not tolerate the confrontations and warmongering schemes of the puppet regime of South Korea.”
This article was posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 3:37 am