Friday, December 3, 2010
SEOUL (Reuters) – South Korea on Friday threatened to bomb North Korea if it tries a repeat of last week’s attack, raising its rhetoric after the United States warned of an “immediate threat” from Pyongyang.
Kim Kwan-jin, a retired general, was speaking at a parliamentary meeting confirming him as new defense minister, a day after U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said North Korea threatened the region and the world.
(ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW)
“If there are further provocations, we will definitely use aircraft to bomb North Korea,” Kim said when asked how he would respond to another attack after last week’s North Korean bombardment of an island near their disputed border, killing two South Korean marines and two civilians.
The North alone has more than 5,000 multiple-launch rockets pointed at the capital Seoul which, with its satellite cities, is home to some 25 million people. South Korea has about 490 combat aircraft.
Full story here.