Jay Deshmukh and Farhad Pouladi
Sunday, Oct 18th, 2009
A suicide bomber blew himself up at a meeting of the elite Revolutionary Guards in southeastern Iran on Sunday, killing 29 people including top commanders and tribal leaders, the interior ministry said.
The attack took place in the city of Pisheen near the border with Pakistan in restive Sistan-Baluchestan province, which hosts a substantial Sunni population, local news agencies said.
Iran’s parliament speaker said the United States was behind the attack, while the Guards accused Western powers of carrying out the assault, the deadliest against them since a bombing in February 2007 in the same province killed 13 people.
“Based on the information… as a result of today’s terrorist action… so far 29 people have been martyred and 28 have been wounded,” the interior ministry said on its website.
This article was posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 at 5:57 am