- Prison Planet.com - http://www.prisonplanet.com -
Top 7 Myths About GMO Foods & Monsanto
Posted By admin On June 17, 2013 @ 4:24 am In Sci Tech | Comments Disabled
June 17, 2013
With all the controversy circling in the mainstream media about the necessity of GMO farming due to world population explosions and a diminishing global food supply, it is time to debunk some of the biggest myths about GMO foods. Don’t be fooled by the propaganda being fed to you by Monsanto and other corporate industrialists who want to keep you on their fishing line with lies about the ‘importance’ of genetic modification. Natural Society is here to bust the myths with solid proof:
1. GMO seeds are sterile. FALSE. However, GMO seeds have been called suicide seeds or terminator seeds  because they have an approximate termination date so that farmers have to keep purchasing new seed from the companies that make them, like Monsanto. This, in turn, allows those companies to maintain a monopoly on the world food supply. Once all our major crops are sewn with patented seeds with specific termination dates, Monsanto and its cohorts will be able to collect royalties just like Michael Jackson’s family does on the song ‘Thriller.’
2. GMO foods taste as good or better than organics. FASLE. Most people can taste the difference between an organic apple and a poison one. Even squirrels can taste the difference  in organic vs. non-organic food.
3. Monsanto can sue farmers who grow organic crops but later grow ‘contaminated’ or GMO cross-bred plants – FALSE. However, organic farmers recently lost a federal court battle with Monsanto when they tried to sue the company for contaminating their organic fields. The U.S. Court of Appeals  for the Federal Circuit affirmed a previous ruling that found ‘organic growers had no reason to try to block Monsanto from suing them as the company had pledged it would not take them to court if biotech crops accidentally mix in with organics.” This still makes Monsanto-crops a concern for farmers who don’t trust that Monsanto will be good for their word. Monsanto, is after all, suing farmers who save seed , claiming they are violating patents.
4. You can keep bio-tech seeds and organic or heirloom seeds separate. FALSE. Mother nature will always blend seed. Wind, rain, storms, bees, etc. can’t be controlled. Recently two organic farmers in Australia  talked about how easily their crops were cross-contaminated with GMO seed after a big storm. The more GMO seed that is planted, the more acreage it covers, the more we need to worry about a non-GMO seed supply.
5. We need GMO seed to feed the world. FALSE. Consider this statement  from 24 delegates from 18 African countries who addressed the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, “We strongly object that the image of the poor and hungry from our countries is being used by giant multinational corporations to push a technology that is neither safe, environmentally friendly nor economically beneficial to us. We do not believe that such companies or gene technologies will help our farmers to produce the food that is needed in the 21st century. On the contrary, we think it will destroy the diversity, the local knowledge and the sustainable agricultural systems that our farmers have developed for millennia, and that it will thus undermine our capacity to feed ourselves.”
Also consider one March, 2012 report by Anthony Gucciardi that reveals over 900 scientists  working under the United Nations were forced to admit that traditional farming actually outperformed GMO crops following their research.
6. GMO foods are good for our health. FALSE. There is so much proof in this department, it is insulting that Monsanto would tell us otherwise. The French  have proven GMO causes cancer. Other scientific research proves that GMOs cause birth-defects  and miscarriage. GMO corn has been linked to organ failure.  The list of genetically modified food’s damaging effects is long, and the evidence is continually mounting against it. GMO even changes our DNA  via interference with our micro RNA!
7. GMO foods are good for the planet. FALSE. Billions of dollars have been spent  to convince us that GMO seed is good for the planet, but the real science  tells a different story. It hurts the planet, wildlife and even microorganisms.
Do you have other myths about GMO foods you want to debunk? Please comment on them with appropriate links below.
This post originally appeared at Natural Society 
Article printed from Prison Planet.com: http://www.prisonplanet.com
URL to article: http://www.prisonplanet.com/top-7-myths-about-gmo-foods-monsanto.html
URLs in this post:
 terminator seeds: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/03/201332813553729250.html
 squirrels can taste the difference: http://www.undergroundhealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/gmocorns.jpg
 U.S. Court of Appeals: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/10/monsanto-wins-lawsuit_n_3417081.html?ir=Green
 suing farmers who save seed: http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pages/why-does-monsanto-sue-farmers-who-save-seeds.aspx
 farmers in Australia: http://www.gmeducation.org/environment/p149075-contamination%20of%20crops%20.html
 this statement: http://earthopensource.org/index.php/7-feeding-the-world/7-1-myth-gm-crops-are-needed-to-feed-the-world-s-growing-population
 over 900 scientists: http://naturalsociety.com/gmo-crops-proven-to-be-ineffective-at-fighting-world-hunger/
 French: http://www.policymic.com/articles/15889/french-gmo-research-finds-monsanto-corn-causes-cancer-america-should-pay-attention_
 birth-defects: http://www.examiner.com/article/mounting-evidence-that-gmo-crops-can-cause-infertility-and-birth-defects
 organ failure.: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/12/monsantos-gmo-corn-linked_n_420365.html
 changes our DNA: http://blackhillsportal.com/npps/story.cfm?id=4478
 Billions of dollars have been spent: http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_agriculture/our-failing-food-system/genetic-engineering/environmental-effects-of.html
 real science: http://enhs.umn.edu/current/5103/gm/harmful.html
 Natural Society: http://naturalsociety.com/top-7-myths-about-gmo-foods-monsanto/
 Court of Appeals Sides with Monsanto Over Organic Farmers: http://www.prisonplanet.com/court-of-appeals-sides-with-monsanto-over-organic-farmers.html
 Judge Throws out Organic Farmers’ Recent Case Against Monsanto: http://www.prisonplanet.com/judge-throws-out-organic-farmers%e2%80%99-recent-case-against-monsanto.html
 Will Organic Farmers See Their Day in Court Against Monsanto?: http://www.prisonplanet.com/will-organic-farmers-see-their-day-in-court-against-monsanto.html
 Monsanto Buys Whole Foods: Fact or Rumor?: http://www.prisonplanet.com/monsanto-buys-whole-foods-fact-or-rumor.html
 Organic groups, farmers file preemptive lawsuit against Monsanto to protect themselves from inevitable destruction by GMOs: http://www.prisonplanet.com/organic-groups-farmers-file-preemptive-lawsuit-against-monsanto-to-protect-themselves-from-inevitable-destruction-by-gmos.html
Copyright © 2013 PrisonPlanet.com. All rights reserved.