Sunday, January 30, 2011
Washington (CNN) — Several top Egyptian military officials cut short their visit to the Pentagon on Friday, returning to where their rank-and-file were rolling through the streets to stem massive protests, a top U.S. military official said.
Marine Gen. James Cartwright, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said that the talks involving Egyptian military officials have been aborted because of the developments. The discussions had been scheduled to run through next Wednesday, February 2.
Cartwright said that — as a matter of protocol — the U.S. and its allies “go through all sorts of contingencies” in case of major international developments. He refrained from taking any position on the unrest, beyond calling for calm.
“The key activity here that’s really important is to exercise restraint, and to do so both on (the U.S.) part but also on our counterparts in the Egyptian military,” he said.
This article was posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 at 10:11 am