The Clare Herald
May 31, 2010
Turkey has warned Israel of “irreparable consequences” following the deaths of up to 19 people when Israeli commandos moved to prevent a flotilla of boats from carrying aid to Gaza.
The incident has been described by Turkey as ‘unacceptable’ while Israel says it is in a state of war with the Palestinian Hamas group and that it is within its rights to restrict all sea traffic entering or exiting the Gaza Strip.
At 4.30pm (local time) Israeli commandos landed on a Turkish-registered ship in a six-vessel convoy, of which the Irish owned Rachel Corrie is part of, carrying aid for the Palestinian territory.
The flotilla began the journey from international waters off the coast of Cyprus yesterday and had been expected to reach Gaza, about 250 miles away, this afternoon. Reports from Turkish State media suggests that at least 10 people were killed and 50 injured, including one Irish citizen, during the pre-dawn raid.
Speaking following the attack, the Israeli military said: “We did not attack any boat, we merely fulfil the Israeli government’s decision to prevent anyone from going into the Gaza strip without coordinating with Israel”.
The Turkish Foreign Ministry reacted: “[The interception on the convoy] is unacceptable … Israel will have to endure the consequences of this behavior”.
This article was posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 at 10:58 am