Alan Travis and Richard Norton-Taylor
Thursday, January 21st, 2010
An American-style “no-fly” list to stop terrorism suspects travelling to Britain is to be introduced as part of a package of enhanced security measures in the wake of the attempted Christmas bomb plot.
Gordon Brown told MPs today that the decision to overhaul the Home Office’s system of a border watchlist is to be underpinned by an extension of the e-borders programme of pre-flight checks on all passengers travelling to Britain by the end of this year.
The new security package contains improvements in intelligence co-ordination in Britain and abroad. This includes a new MI6/MI5/GCHQ joint investigation and targeting team to focus on individual suspects before they reach Britain as well as improving international information- sharing on “individuals of concern”.
The prime minister also confirmed that direct flights between London and Yemen are to be suspended and that full-body scanners at British airports will come into use next week. The Nigerian man arrested for the attempted Christmas Day bombing, who was on the UK watchlist after being refused a student visa, told officials that he had been given the bomb by al-Qaida operatives in Yemen.
This article was posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 10:38 am