Still no footage of flight 77′s impact at the Pentagon
Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008
The FBI and the Department of Justice have released ten new videos relating to the events of 9/11, three years after a freedom of information act request for the footage was submitted.
The newly released videos show footage of the attack on the twin towers in New York on September 11th 2001.
Some of the videos were originally seized by the FBI in the hours after the attacks had taken place, others were handed to 9/11 investigators or discovered throughout the course of the investigation.
The videos were secured by FOIA attorney Scott Hodes, under instruction from his client Mr Scott Bingham.
Bingham has uploaded some of the footage to youtube and has set about writing blogs on the videos at http://www.penttbom.com.
“This is the first bulk release of videos from the PENTTBOM investigative file. More will come later. How much later? I don’t know. But we requested 64 of 84 items on the ‘menu’ and we now have 10 new items.”
Bingham was previously successful in securing the release of CCTV footage from the Pentagon, Citgo gas station, and Double Tree hotel, which he documented on his website www.Flight77.info. However, none of these videos provided clear footage of the impact of flight 77 into the Pentagon.
(Article continues below)
Although it was Bingham’s FOIA lawsuit that forced the release of the only known footage from the Pentagon and the surrounding area on 9/11, government watchdog group Judicial Watch took the credit and released it to the mainstream media networks.
During the course of Bingham’s FOIA request, he discovered that the FBI was withholding at least another 84 surveillance tapes pertaining to the attacks, and subsequently requested the release of all the withheld footage.
The original context of the request for the footage and the revelations garnered from the FBI suggested that the remaining tapes were specifically related to the attack on the Pentagon. However, the bulk of the ten newly released videos show the impact of the second plane into the World Trade Center from various new angles. Some of the videos seem to be old footage that has been previously released, and one video even contains a full ABC News episode called ‘The Survivors’, a documentary about the burn victims of 9/11 that was presumably made weeks or months after the events.
It appears that the FBI still maintains that they have no more footage of the Pentagon attack, despite the fact that the area is littered with buildings and roads that have their own surveillance systems, in addition to that of the pentagon itself.
Perhaps the most interesting newly released video is footage shot by a couple in a hotel adjacent to the WTC. Much like the previously released “What we saw: Bob and Bri” video which surfaced two years ago, this video is cut just as the second plane hits. However the audio is left intact and a large swoosh followed by two loud thuds can be heard. Bingham, who says he plans to upload more from this video, also says the video is cut as the towers collapse. The reason for the cuts is not explained.
Footage from the newly released videos appears below:
This article was posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 at 10:34 am