May 25, 2010
The US military on Monday said it will carry out anti-submarine and other naval exercises with South Korea in the “near future” after a North Korean sub sank a South Korean warship.
The announcement came after an international investigation last week concluded that a North Korean submarine fired a heavy torpedo at the Cheonan on March 26, sinking the South Korean vessel and killing 46 sailors.
The decision to conduct anti-submarine as well as maritime interdiction exercises with Seoul’s military “are a result of the findings of this recent incident,” Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman told reporters.
He declined to offer more details of the “important” exercises but said they would take place “in the near future.”
This article was posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 4:26 am