April 14, 2011
US fighter jets are still carrying out bombing raids on Libya’s air defenses, the Pentagon said Wednesday, days after indicating American combat aircraft had withdrawn from NATO operations.
US warplanes have attacked air defense targets three times since April 4, when NATO assumed command of the air campaign, spokesman Colonel Dave Lapan said in a statement.
US military officials had previously said about 50 combat jets had been pulled back after the handover to NATO, and that air strikes would be carried out by allies while the United States would provide refueling and surveillance aircraft.
It was unclear why the Pentagon had waited to reveal the role of F-16 fighters helping to enforce the no-fly zone, but details emerged amid divisions within the NATO alliance over the air campaign.
This article was posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 4:58 am