Wednesday, August 31, 2011
WASHINGTON – WikiLeaks said its website had been the target of a cyber attack late on Tuesday as it proceeded with the release of thousands of previously unpublished US diplomatic cables, some still classified.
“WikiLeaks.org is presently under attack,” said a message on WikiLeaks’ Twitter page, which is believed to be controlled by Julian Assange, the controversial Australian-born founder and chief of the whistle-blowing organization.
WikiLeaks later described the problem as “a cyber attack”. In a subsequent message on its Twitter feed, it said the website was back up though some users were having problems accessing it.
The US cables which the website said it is dumping onto the public record appear to be from a cache of more than 250,000 State Department reports leaked to the group. WikiLeaks began releasing the cables in smaller batches late last year, but until now had made them public in piecemeal fashion.
This article was posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 2:36 am