January 4, 2017
The Turkish government says it has established the identity of the gunman who killed 39 people in an attack on an Istanbul nightclub in the early hours of New Year’s Day, as further arrests were made in connection with the atrocity.
The foreign minister, Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu, said in a televised interview that the attacker had been identified, though he did not provide further details. The suspect has yet to be publicly named, although police have released a grainy image.
The gunman killed a police officer and another person in order to enter the Reina nightclub, which overlooks the Bosphorus in the wealthy Ortaköy neighbourhood of Turkey’s largest city. Nearly two-thirds of those killed in the club, which is frequented by celebrities, were foreigners and many were from the Middle East. Sixty-nine people were injured.
Several people have been arrested in relation to the shooting, including at least five suspected Islamic State group militants during an operation on Wednesday in the Aegean port city of Izmir, the state-run Anadolu news agency said.
This article was posted: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 7:10 am