January 31, 2020
The first case of deadly coronavirus that has so far killed more than 200 people in China has been confirmed in the UK.
Two patients in England, who are members of the same family, have tested positive for the virus, Chief Medical Officer for England Professor Chris Whitty said.
The Department of Health has declined to say where in England the patients are from but it is understood they are being treated at a hospital in Newcastle.
In a statement, Mr Whitty said: ‘The patients are receiving specialist NHS care, and we are using tried and tested infection control procedures to prevent further spread of the virus.
‘The NHS is extremely well-prepared and used to managing infections and we are already working rapidly to identify any contacts the patients had, to prevent further spread. ‘We have been preparing for UK cases of novel coronavirus and we have robust infection control measures in place to respond immediately.
This article was posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 at 6:24 am