March 24, 2020
Italians woke up Tuesday with a glimmer of hope as the coronavirus death toll in the country appeared to have slowed down.
The number of deaths rose by 602 on Monday, the smallest increase in four days, according to Reuters. The number of new confirmed cases also slowed on Monday. These figures have raised expectations that the worse could be over for the country with the highest number of deaths from the virus worldwide.
However, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said Monday that Italy had not yet reached the “most acute phase” of the infection.
“It is early to say” when this crisis will be over, Conte told the newspaper La Stampa Monday.
Italy has been in national lockdown since early March and it is scheduled to last until April 3. There have been 63,927 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Italy and 6,077 deaths so far, but 7,432 people have recovered from the illness.
This article was posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 at 6:59 am