Friday, July 18, 2008
Iran was on Sunday facing a two-week deadline to give a final answer to world powers seeking a breakthrough in the nuclear crisis, after talks with the EU foreign policy chief ended in stalemate.
Iran’s top nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili and EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana hailed their latest talks in Geneva on Saturday as “constructive” but Solana lamented that Tehran had still not given a final response.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad described the talks as a “step forward” in the nuclear standoff, which has raised fears of regional conflict and sent oil prices spiralling.
(Article continues below)
Solana, who presented Iran with a major package aimed at ending the standoff on behalf of world powers last month, said he was waiting for a decision from Tehran on an initial deal to start pre-negotiations.
This would see world powers promising not to impose further UN Security Council resolutions against Tehran, in exchange for Iran not installing any more uranium-enriching centrifuges, he said.
This article was posted: Sunday, July 20, 2008 at 5:21 am