September 14, 2018
The 32-year-old suspect mowed down two suspects who have been rushed to hospital following the shock incident at 1am in Nimes, southern France, where bystanders had gathered in preparation for the region’s annual grape harvesting festival.
The man was reported to have sped the car towards a crowd of 50 people outside the L’Instant T bar.
Witnesses said the man had tried to flee the scene but had been stopped by bystanders before being arrested by police at 1.30am.
The victims had been standing behind barriers when the car hit them.
They were rushed to a nearby hospital in a stable condition having suffered injuries to their lower limbs.
A source told French publication Midi Libre the man was not known to police for suspected radicalisation.
The region’s public prosecutor Eric Maurel said the suspect was in a state of mental confusion” during his arrest, which followed him being roughed up by the crowd of witnesses who tried to restrain him.
This article was posted: Friday, September 14, 2018 at 5:25 am